Did you know that the Streetsville Review is recorded to have been the oldest weekly newspaper published between Toronto and Windsor?
In 1846 John Barnhart and his brother Solomon decided to start a weekly newspaper called the Streetsville Review, a weekly newspaper that they felt would be an asset to the Village. The Review was first printed in a building on the corner of Pearl and Queen Street. The first editor was Rev. MacGeorge from Trinity Church who it was said had a talent for writing. The type was set by hand and the paper consisted of four pages. Because there were very few businesses in Streetsville at that time, professionals and businesses from Toronto, Brampton and other areas would advertise in the Review.
The Barnharts carried on the paper until 1866. It is recorded in the Tweedsmuir History of Streetsville – volume 1 book that a group of Irish Americans arrived in Streetsville and broke into Mr Switzer’s residence and seized the newspaper press and dumped it in the Credit River.
The Review stopped printing for a short time until Mr. Hill and Mr. Watson started printing the Review again. Once again it was sold to a Mr. Fawcett. When Mr. Fawcett got older he then sold the Review to Mr. Statia and Mr. Church.
They continued their partnership until March 1899 when Mr. Church took over on his own and was editor for more then 35 years. Mr. Church was a good worker and became very involved in the community, serving on just about every organization’s executive as well as becoming Reeve of the Village and Warden of Peel County. In June 1960, Ralph Blackmore became the new owner but in 1962 it changed hands again and was then owned by the Williams family. The Streetsville Review original papers from 1894 to 1942 are stored in the archives of the Streetsville Historical Society. The last printing of the Streetsville Review was in 1984.
When Sam and Hazel McCallion first came to Streetsville they set up a dry-cleaning business. Then in 1964 they started up a community newspaper called The Booster. The Booster was printed weekly and became known as a “good newspaper” that wrote about people and events that made Streetsville a great place to live. In 2001 after Sam McCallion passed away Metroland Media who owns the Mississauga News bought the Booster and continued to deliver the weekly paper. In 2014 Metroland stopped printing the Booster.
In 1988 a newspaper called the Streetsville News was printed by Ron Lenyk. It carried stories on what was happening in and around Streetsville. It was printed only for a short time.
In 2000 the Streetsville Business Association signed up with a company called “Abby News” They printed a paper called “Our Village in The City”. They wrote about events and stories in and around Streetsville with advertising from local business. Our Village in The City was printed for a short time.
Then in the year 2005 the Streetsville Business Association was approached by Toby Gardiner. He explained that he would like to print a paper for the Village. The paper would be called the Streetsville Village Times. It was approved by the board of the SBIA. Thirteen years later and still going strong the Streetsville Village Times delivers 25,000 copies to the community six times a year with the contents about Streetsville and local advertising.
The Streetsville Historical Society compliments Toby Gardiner on continuing the traditions of a Streetsville Newspaper and thank him for printing our stories about Streetsville and days gone by.