Look, we all love clothes. As a society, we’ve never been more conscious of what we wear, and there’s also never been a time with a wider diversity of accepting clothing styles. Another thing that’s substantially more acceptable and celebrated nowadays, is geek culture; whether that’s Marvel movies, the latest and greatest video games, or incredible worlds like Harry Potter.
You may be excited to learn that a place in Mississauga is celebrating the melding of geek culture and fashion, which may be a lot more intrinsically linked than you would believe. Haven’t you heard that geek is chic?
October 13th marks the first annual Geek Chic City Fashion Summit at City Centre Dance studio! “GCC is a Fashion Show and Cosplay Contest dedicated to illuminating and celebrating the intersection of fashion, video games, dance, street and geek culture.”
The two day event will feature a fashion show, an arcade, a cosplay contest, dance performances, dance battles, fashion and dance workshops, and panels by QTBIPOC Sauga and Hand Eye Society. It’s sure to be a fun-filled weekend event for fans of all things dance, fashion, movies, comics, and video games! Below is the full schedule:
Saturday, Oct 13
- Doors Open at 5pm
- Fashion Show from 6pm-7:30pm
- Ground Illusionz Break dance Showcase from 7:30pm-8pm
- Cosplay Competition from 8pm-9pm
- Photography from 9pm-10pm
Sunday, Oct 14
- Dance Workshop by Alex Pollard from 11am-12pm
- Intro to Fashion Workshop by Zahirah Q from 12:15pm-1:15pm
- Playful Creating Panel from 1:30pm-2:30pm
- Dressing and Designing from the Margins: Brilliance of QTBIPOC Adornment by qtBiPoc Panel from 2:45pm-3:45pm
The Geek Fashion Summit is an event for all ages, and there’s a pay-what-you-can gate! So if you missed the Fan Expo downtown last month, or if you went and want an excuse to dress up again, the Fashion Summit is for you! You can find City Centre Dance studio at 68-5359 Timberlea Blvd. Come get your geek on and make this event annual!